• Pinterest
  • Instagram!
  • Subcribe to RSS Feed

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Two Bottles




After almost three months separated from my first love – wine – we have finally been reunited. It took me three days to express enough milk to buy me six whole hours of breastfeeding free time so that I could partake. One kind of bottle for me and another for Orion. My friend Lorren was visiting us from Australia this week and she, like me is a bit of a wino so we thought a day visiting the wineries of La Geria was in order. 
First of all let me say, if you hold a similar love for vino and you are ever on the island, put La Geria at the top of your list. Not only will you try some great wines (stick to the whites in my opinion) but also have a feast for the eyes. The area backs on to Timanfaya National Park to the east and it’s an incredibly unique landscape shaped by the volcanic eruption of Timanfaya from 1730 – 1736. Basically what you’re looking at is a vast area of volcanic ash, which makes you think you’re on the moon rather than in the middle of a thriving wine region.
The landscape is made up of pits in the volcanic ash for the vines  (empty at the moment) which each have a small half circle stone wall around them for wind protection. The result is quite stunning and something a photo doesn’t capture so hightail it over here to check it out.
Alvaro was designated driver and chief baby feeder (gracias) and the day was more than worth those extra ten minutes to express milk a couple of times a day in the lead up. Ironically Orion didn’t want to eat for nearly four hours after the first bottle and I was beginning to think the milk would turn bad and the little one would be left in a dilemma with the options of getting a little drowsy from my milk or going with nothing at all. Thankfully he came to his senses and scoffed down the second bottle right on the time mark and then promptly demanded more shortly after. A word to those giving this a try – always leave another feed at home in the fridge just in case you want that one last drink.
My one last drink was indeed fabulous, the Caipirinha, and drunk I have to say in a truly fantastic place - the side of a quarry. London, Paris, Sydney hang your heads in shame - Lanzarote has the best cocktail bar I’ve visited. It’s at LagOmar, which is also a museum, art gallery and restaurant.  Think exposed stone walls and white washed concrete mixed in with a little Arabian Nights and Indiana Jones and The Temple of Doom and you are there.
Reminding me I’m a now a mum incase I was feeling a little too cool in the bar was Orion and his bottle. He wanted it and it was cold. And God forbid there be a tap with hot water around.  So despite the fact we already had a baby in a cocktail bar we extended our ridiculousness a little further when I spent several minutes waving his bottle in front of an outdoor heater where two German women were trying to enjoy their beverages. They seemed to understand my predicament, or at least they pretended to as I completely invaded their private space to warm the milk. Whatever the case, I know this -  I’ll take a sideways glance over a crying baby any day.

0 comments:

Post a Comment