• Pinterest
  • Instagram!
  • Subcribe to RSS Feed

Sunday, December 22, 2013

A new chapter


I am painstakingly typing this post with one hand because my other arm is otherwise occupied with nursing my 6-week-old son, Orión. Hence the title of this post. Although it’s not just that I’m a first time mum which marks the new season; I’ve also just moved from London to Lanzarote to spend my maternity leave with my husband and our little guy in the sunshine. His parents and sister live here and it’s my moment in life to finally learn Spanish. Its sort of a necessity given my husband is Spanish and Orión will be learning both languages and of course I don’t want to miss any conversations in my own house! 
So for the next six or seven months we are here, in our cute little apartment which is just ten minutes walk to the beach (in case I ever whinge too much that you feel tempted to feel sorry for me) and I have three challenges in this time. The first is obvious – figuring out day by day how to raise my boy – what his cries mean, how to get him to sleep in his crib and not the big bed, remembering to treasure all those moments that will never again reappear. Secondly, to leave this island with a good level of Spanish. I have my first lesson tomorrow with my father-in-law. More to come on that following the success or failure of that lesson. And lastly, to shed those kilos I unwittingly collected during pregnancy this year (approximately 10 of them)…my very valid excuse doesn’t take away the fact that my wardrobe currently consists of three pairs of maternity trousers and a couple of loose fitting tops. Let’s not talk yet about how breastfeeding limits your wardrobe or about the block of chocolate that is sat next to me on the couch right now! The rest of my wardrobe is staring at me begging to be worn but unable to squeeze itself around my more than a little enlarged thighs.

The adventure of maternity leave in Lanzarote is just one week into existence and I’m sure it’s going to throw up an array of hilarity, challenge and pure ‘oh my god, is this my amazing life’ moments. The very fact that this Kiwi/Aussie girl now lives close to the beach again is one of those moments in itself. Alright the little one needs a bath…

1 comment:

  1. Don´t worry, right now I´m helping out eating some of that chocolate that you left behind.

    ReplyDelete